View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Question for the cavalry troopers and TO&E nuts here. I was aware that the troops of the regiment would be lettered consecutively, were the Tank companies and artillery batteries included? That is, I'm sure 1st Squadron had A, B, C Troops, are the tanks D Company, and the artillery E? I'm speaking more to the prewar and wartime organizations, not necessarily the German one.
I believe under the Reagan-era derived MTOEs GDW used for USAVG the artillery batteries were under a separate battalion headquarters and numbered internally to it, outside the troop lettering system. The tank companies were organic squadron assets and lettered sequentially as the fourth troop/company in each squadron.

Wiki seems to indicate the same practice in effect with the current US Army reduction of armored cavalry regiments, including 3rd, to bad jokes. (As a cavalry scout I can only hope there will be some sort of divine retribution visited in this life or the next on the decision makers who committed the mortal sin of transforming the ACRs into Stryker infantry brigades and the NTC OPFOR. Just disgraceful.)

Quote:
One of my wargaming friends commanded an artillery battery in the 107th ACR in the '70s, he said that his battery had a Field Artillery regimental affiliation (i.e. 3-92 FA), so they would have been outside the 3rd's numbering/lettering. FWIW, that was when there was only one battery for the whole regiment, IIRC.
May also relate to how the National Guard was organizing things in that unit at that specific time, especially if the unit was organized across state lines and such.