View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 03:40 PM

There are many people in the world—the US very much included—who are far too easily offended. Being overly sensitive seems to be a part of their self-image. I agree with you, Waiting, that we should not allow freedom of speech to be dictated or circumscribed by the hypersensitive. I heartily dislike the chicanery of political correctness.

On the other hand, Nazi Germany is a special case. Pirates under the Jolly Roger have committed terrible acts, it’s true. Personally, I don’t much care for the American fascination with pirates because they were, and still are, violent criminals. This much said, Nazi Germany is a special case due to the incredible scale of Nazi atrocities and the cold-blooded, methodical, and engineered manner in which they conducted their crimes against humanity. Any reference to Nazi Germany brings huge baggage to the table.

Targan states the case against the use of SS in the style depicted on the flag more neutrally than I would. To claim that SS as shown on that flag is merely an abbreviation for “Scout Snipers” is like claiming that the Nazi-style salute, when used by a white supremacist group, is merely an alternative style of salute that is otherwise devoid of meaning or reference. Such a claim holds less water than a sieve.

Let’s get down to it, then. The use of lettering from the SS is unavoidably attached to the identity of the SS. The SS was a force of political soldiers distinct from the regular German Army. The SS performed brilliantly on the battlefield. They also ran the death camps. They were card-carrying Nazis. The placement of a flag with SS lettering underneath the American flag is a jarring juxtaposition of values, suggesting very strongly that these Marines believe that the unprecedentedly violent fascism of Nazi Germany has a place in American life. Remember that these aren’t survivalists running around in the woods on their own recognizance. These are US Marines. They swore to uphold the Constitution. Like it or not, they represent the nation. The armed forces don’t have the luxury of telling the nation they serve that being offended is just too bad when the US flag and all it represents is placed directly adjacent to symbols from Nazi Germany and all Nazi Germany represents. People should be concerned.

While I sympathize with a tendency on the part of troops—especially troops in elite units—to want to associate themselves with, emulate, and otherwise incorporate values from history’s stellar fighting men and formations, the use of Nazi symbolism anywhere in the logos, insignia, or regalia of a US military unit shows very poor judgment at the very least.