View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I'm not looking at a map, ATM, but couldn't intervening mountains shield relatively nearby areas from the blast and thermal radiation effects of a ground-burst? Also, with mountain effect weather effects, radioactive material ejected by the explosion could essentially get trapped on one side of a high mountain range. Neither of these are perfect explanations, but they might be plausible/workable.
That might make sense if Fort Carson was a lot further away - but it isnt - and also there is no intervening mountains - if you hit Cheyenne Mountain dead on then you hit Carson - and all it takes is about five minutes to look at a topographical map to see that

The 3rd degree burn radius covers the entire area of Fort Carson as does the radiation - and given the prevailing winds they are going to get one heck of a dusting

as I have said there are places that canon needs to be rewritten in order to have it make sense - this isnt a drought we are talking about - this is the law of physics and radioactive fallout patterns - oh and keep in mind that the whole area around Cheyenne is heavily wooded - so you are going to have huge amounts of smoke and debris - all massively contaminated - blowing all over Fort Carson

and thats if the nuke hits the top of the mountain - move it to the more likely location which is closer to Fort Carson and things get a lot worse - FYI the Academy is far enough away its probably intact without any issues so the actual personnel of the Cadet Brigade are alive no matter what - but I dont see them getting much out of Carson - and either way Colorado Springs - the city itself - is basically going to be irradiated ruins