View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 03:30 PM

I have hundreds of titles, mostly WW2 ones. Wandering to the far Pacific first:
Shattered sword/ Parshall and Tully. Incredibly well-detailed account fo the battle of Midway-- some of what you know is wrong! The Japanese were in worse shape going in than most people know, the US wasn't as lucky as is believed, they were better (at some carrier tactics).

First team and The first team and the Guadalcanal campaign / John Lundstrom. Also incredibly detailed accounts of fighter combat among carrier pilots for the first year of WW2.

Sea Harrier over the Falklands / Sharkey Ward. He was one of the two Sea Harrier squadron commanders. He is NOT at all friendly to the RAF, be warned.

Battle for the Rhine / Robin Neillands. Somewhat biased towards the British half of the perennial Patton-Montgomery argument, but his arguments seem rather sound to me. Covers the Sep 44-March 45 part of the Western Front.

I've been copying some modern titles from this list, that's a field I usually stay away from.

Anything by Dan Bolger. Dragons at war covered his time at National Training Center with a mech company in 1982 or 1983. Battle for Hunger Hill covered his time as a battalion CO at JRTC in 1993-- two visits! He's also written two on US military actions: one for 1975-1986, and another for the early '90s. I can't think of those titles right now.

Those are the ones that jump to the front of my mind right now.