View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 06:29 PM

A couple of suggestions to the group.

Harry Turtledove's Worldwar and Colonization series. I found these very interesting. WWII in full swing...and then the Axis and Allies find themselves in the middle of War Of The Worlds. Turtledove can get long winded at times, but I thought they were a good read.

Newt Gingrich's and William Forstchen's Civil War Trilogy

The South wins at Gettysburg, Grant still wins at Vicksburgh. Hence Grant appointed Commander of Union Armies a year before it happened IRL.

William Forstchen's Lost Regiment.

A regiment of Union soldiers being transferred via ship to the Sherman campaign in North Carolina. Instead, they end up on another planet with humans and others....and the others enjoy humans...well done!!!!

This is an eight book series. Books 4 and 5 were a little boring for me, but still good reads.

Newt Gingrich's and William Forstchen's Day of Infamy series

Japan attacks Pearl Harbor...but this time Yamamoto sends four or five Japanese Army divisions and enough oilers to re-fuel the carrier strike force to finish the job. The U.S. has to rebuild on the West Coast.

2 books so far as I know. I thought really good reads.

Eric Flint's 1632 series.

This is farther out of our normal discussion eras. A town of 3000 West Virginians is transported lock, stock and pickup trucks into Central Germany during the height of the 30 Year War. I did not know that that war cost Europe about 25% (low estimate) to 50% (high estimate) casualties. Only the Black Plague did more damage....

This series is now TWELVE books big!!!! With MORE to come. I enjoyed most of them tremendously.

Of course, I echo the sentiments about Alas, Babylon, On the Beach, Fail Safe, Starship Troopers, and many of the other books mentioned here in this thread.