View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 03:52 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
I've also heard that the Cold War Polish military was considered pretty capable, in terms of both the quality of its troops and equipment. Given Chico's numbers (thanks, Chico), it was also the largest of the Pact armies.

Currently, they have quite an impressive little arms industry of their own and, by most reports, their GROM SF built up a pretty good rep while operating with other Coallition SF in Iraq.

I think Hungary also produced its own line of military trucks during the Cold War but I could be remembering incorrectly. I'll have to do a little research.
Yes, the Poles were pretty loyal, due to the Soviet reinforced the fear of another Germany Army coming to take over. Notice Poland was didn't have Group of Soviet Force, even though they played host to Air Force and various other unit. One of the main reason for this is due to the unique situation of Poland being sold out by England and US. With the fact that there were Polish units made Poland unique. It was one of the first countries of the pact to be armed, with unit that former fought with the Soviet who already had Soviet General in command.

Like many of the other Pact nation the Defense Minister for many year longer than others were Soviet General, or those loyal to the Soviet. This is one of the reason why the Warsaw Pact was only formalized after NATO was create. To the Soviet High Command why would they have defense treaty with nations that already answer to them to begin with.

Again by the 1980s the Soviets had regretted not keeping a large force in Poland since the Polish Army seem unwillingly to move against the Solidarity as fast as the Soviet felt it should of been dealt with. Only when did they take action, they did so to keep the large part of the Soviet Army and units of allies out. Not that the Soviets were in any shape to invade like they had with Hungary and Czechoslavakia in the 50s and 60s. Both of these nations had paid a price of hosting much large Group of Soviet Force in their countries afterwards.

And quite frankly the Soviets were once before whipped by the Polish back in 1921, and they were quite capable of give them a bloody nose that they didn't want the west to witness. Along with using the best equipment that had been position to be used against the US and NATO, not a nation that was for all purposes still a client state.