View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I assume since you're using military graphics, you're attempting to make them doctrinally correct?
Kinda. My original goal was to recreate (and perhaps Improve) the maps from the V2 T2k rule book.

I used FM 101-5-1 (October 1985 and September 1997) as the source for most of the symbols. I am using a font that I built to make the unit graphics. Fonts have some limitations but scale nicely so I chose those instead of overlaying images. I made some adjustments to the text around the units (vertical rather than horizontal) to allow for greater clarity when dealing with the complicated inner Poland map I expect will be my grand work. The problem is all my maps are dynamically generated. Overlap of symbols is going to be a problem. By reducing the unit footprint I minimize the issue a bit.

Here is a example of what I am going for.
http://games.juhlin.com/maps/map_unit.html

The cluttering/readibility gets better as you zoom (top left) but gets worse on most of the other map options (top right).

This is very much a work in progress. If you have any comments or suggestions I would appreciate hearing them.

(edit oh you can click on the units for more information)
(edit2 Another note I suppressed 4 small units which were collocated with larger units. Eventually that info will be accessible from the popup)

Last edited by kato13; 04-25-2009 at 10:42 PM.