View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

As a matter of fact, I do remember reading somewhere in version 1. That not all East German units had defected to the West German. Some units were more active at the start, while other commanders simply choose to stay in their barracks, making their force sitting ducks, until the Soviet forced them to take action. I don't remember if this was in the Going Home module or in the original game set where I had read this.

Also I don't many of the Border Guard units would of defected to the West. These probably would of been the units the Soviet built up their German forces around. These forces were probably grounded out of existence as punishment for the bulk of the East German military defection to the West Germany.

One thing one has to remember the Soviets, didn't hold their Pact allies in high regard in how they would be re-equipped or brought up to strength. These units would get supplies, but as an after thought. They were to help pave the way so their units would have easier time. One just has to look at the Polish 7th(?) Marine Division and Polish 6th Airborne Division. Both of these units were very capable by all accounts in training. The Marine Division I believe was to be assigned to the Front that was to take Denmark, and as such was kept at near full strength. While the 6th due to action in the early 1980 where they didn't perform as they should during riots in and near Krakow where they reduced to little more than Brigade by the collapse of the Soviet Union.