Thread: Survival skills
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Survival skills

As I was reading the Gold thread, I was thinking skills would be more valuable than material goods.

Forget being able to shoot a gun, how many people know enough about farming to plant a garden big enough to live on? I sure don't.

Reloading ammo? I know enopugh to reload small arms ammo, but what about when ready made supplies of powder and caps run out? I'm fairly knowledgable, I could make black powder, but fulminate of mercury for the caps? Smokeless or nitro powder? Ha, go fish.

I know how to ride a horse, but I really don't have much of a clue about taking care of one other than feed and water. And cows and other farm type animals? Just an idea about that.

I can hunt, and butcher game, and figure out how to tan the leather, and one of my hobbies is leather working, so at least I could have clothes and shoes.

How about doctors? Chemists? I can see the local hospital being guarded by the local government's troops, not just because of the drugs, but to protect the skilled personnel. There's an adventure idea- having to kidnap the local physician for an operation. Or being guards for a Doc as he makes his rounds.

Any other valuable skills?