View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Default Civilian Militias

Hey All,

I have a little scenario that I would love to pick the brains of here. While the origins of the scenario are not Twilight/Merc 2000 it does have some application to the game.

The premise is that the PCs are tasked with raising and equipping a civilian Militia for local defense.

A: How would one choose who is in the Militia? Personally while "everyone is in the Militia" is a nice sentiment. I know of far too many people who cannot be trusted with a dull flimsy plastic spoon.

B: How would one equip said Militia and with what? While Peru had the Ronda Campesina they armed them with shotguns. While this did work to a degree it was found that the Sendro Luminoso had better ranged weapons and could pin down local militias.

The first time I did something like this in TW2K I used suppressed Sten guns. Now days I would use MAC 10 clones as I didn't know how simple they were to make. These would then lead to most people using captured Soviet equipment.

In a MERC 2000 style game there are no Soviets to prey on so I would have to look at a motley assortment of firearms and untrained peasants. This would also mean some sort of proper rifle with at least a 300m range. Looking at all the EOtechs in Kenya optics are not out of the question.