Thread: AT Guns
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM

I have read a lot of interesting point in all your posts but I wanted to point out a few points in the defense of the AT gun (in a T2K setting).

A well concealed AT gun is not that easy to spot especially when you don't have all these nice technological gears. And you won't have that much of them in T2K. During WW2 AT crew had been known to destroy tanks at point blank (sometimes less than 50 meters away).

Yes they lack mobility but the twilight war in 2000 has nothing in common with Iraq or Afghanistan and mobility (except for limited mobile offensive) is only memory.

In addition, they have proved to be very efficient on several occasions (Tobruk, Kursk...). To get back on Iraq, I have the impression that Bassora resisted for some times at the beginning of the conflict, using static positions. Moreover, we don't know what would have happened if the Iraqi units had defended Baghdad. Hopefully, Saddam had been among the worse military leaders of the post WW2 era (and that doesn't take anything out of the US troops qualities).

Air power is a great threat to AT gun but that won't be an issue anymore.

I love the insight from all of those among you who have a military experience as you changed many of my views and improved my understanding but I have sometimes the feeling that you forget one point about T2K: You are on your own!!

You have not been on your own for hours or days but for weeks or even month. Your supply lines are long gone, your technological stuffs are falling appart, your vehicles are damaged and already sustained several hits, you lived of the land and every bullet count (not to talk about an RPG round).

IMO the twilight war compare more to the Russian revolution or Chinese revolution (may be American Indian wars) than to any other modern conflict (you just have a number of slightly more modern equipments). Your unit has been reorganized to live off the land and the opponents is making the best use he can of its own equipments. Sure AT guns lack mobility but you don't have the mobility to turn that position anyway. As a result, a single AT gun in a well prepared position can definitely stop you (IMO of course). At least, it will slow you for a long time and it has a good chance to destroy your last survivng M1 Abrams (which is in bad shape already).