Thread: Berlin in 1996
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Attacking a NATO nation doesn't avoid an all out war with NATO. It simply moves the focal point away from Central Europe. It doesn't mean that NATO won't also add its strength to the fighting in E. Germany. In fact, it does, starting with U.S. and British forces.
NATO has no forces in East Germany (excluding West Berlin) until December 1996.

Quote:
I agree that it's foolish, but that was my point. Nations sometimes do foolish things in war. This particular argument is becoming rather circular. I point out that nations don't always behave rationally and you give another example of how the Soviets don't act rationally. Yes.
There are a lot of things about Twilight 2000 that are irrational!

Quote:
No, they don't. They just have to force W. Germany to the negotiating table.
They will have to defeat them which means pushing them back into West Germany to do that.

Quote:

I agree that it's ambiguous, but I think it's more clearly implied that it starts in Europe, since that's the first theater mentioned (in the quote I posted). If it started in China, why wasn't that the first theater mentioned? German forces setting foot on Soviet soil is clearly the trigger for the nuclear option. Why would the Soviets use nukes in China first when the existential threat is in West?

I like debate, but this is starting to seem like arguing for argument's sake. I clearly can't persuade you to accept my ideas, and I've not been swayed by yours. I guess at this point, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. In your T2KU, the Soviets allow Western access to W. Berlin after the W. German invasion. In mine, they don't.
Alright Raellus.