Thread: TW2k13
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
I'll apologize if this is not the right place, but can someone summarise the differences between the mechanics of T2013 vs T2K V2.2?

Thanks,

Uncle Ted
This is the perfect place to explain the mechanics of the various Twilight versions for anyone who hasn't had exposure to all of them.

Version 1: A percentile based game (you have a 40% chance to hit him).

Version 2: A slightly simplified system that included the revolutionary recoil rules and a Skill System based on a 1d10 roll.

Version 2.2: An "enhanced" version 2 rule set that transitioned to the 1D20 die roll system and added a "controlling attribute" to the skill level which created an asset for a beginning target number (ie. Small Arms skill level 2 + AGL of 6 equals an asset of 8). Version 2.2 was the most "polished" of the editions but I believe version 1 was "smoother" in play for most beginning players. It's hard to beat a simple percentile system.

Twilight 2013: The game to uses a specialized gaming system called The Reflex System. In the Reflex system; The character's attributes (base attributes are from 1 to 10) are used as "base target numbers" for any skills the character has learned. This base target number is modified by various bonuses and penalties. Skill levels are not used directly for task resolution though. The character's skill levels are referenced on a chart to get a "Skill Rating" from Unskilled through to Master Ratings. Each of these ratings allow one or more dice (from 1 die for Novice, up to 5 dice for Master) to be rolled. To determine your success in the Reflex System; You take the lowest successful die roll and subtract it from your target number. To this number you will add +2 for EACH additional successful die roll. The total of these numbers is your Margin of Success. This Margin of Success is used to determine the effect of your success in game. You would also have a Margin of Failure if none of your dice rolls succeeded. Twilight 2013 had some issues due to the complexity of the Reflex System (they can be math heavy and therefore cumbersome in use) but was pretty well written. Some of the rules are better than the previous editions. I like the reconstruction rules, The psychological damage rules and the rules on Coolness Under Fire (the best thought out of these rules in all of the editions).

In fact; I'm mixing and matching the aspects of all of the editions which I think work the best. I primarily use the version 2.2 rules but include elements of all the editions in my game.

Last edited by swaghauler; 07-24-2015 at 09:18 PM.