View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
A fair point. I guess that I haven't thought too far past that phase, at least as far as CONUS scenarios go. My bad.

It's not an industry, per se, but how about a functioning currency system? I think that we all agree that barter would be the most form of exchange c.2000, but that won't work for long on a large scale. All that other stuff on the list is going to need to be paid for, unless the U.S. has devolved to a command economy (hard to imagine when the seminal WWIII was against communism), so you're going to need a currency system that all the actors are going to accept, or at least recognize. Does the dollar still work c.2000, what with the Civ/MilGov split and all that?

-
I would argue that someone's going to start printing money, if it isn't a government, it will be a bank. This popped up in my mailbox yesterday:
http://www.delanceyplace.com/view-archives.php?p=2987
During one of the many Panics before the Federal Reserve, some banks started giving each other IOUs, so they could give cash to their depositors, and these notes started moving into general circulation anyway. My guess is that some state or local governments will get together with their local banks to work out some kind of arrangement.