View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
My friend has translated parts of the manual and there's some very interesting info in there. Although the radio does have an internal battery, it is only intended for emergencies and has a life of just 10 minutes. It is supposed to be hooked up to something like a car battery, preferably in a vehicle (although you could haul the battery around in your pack if you really, really wanted).
Leg,

Are you sure that your friend has translated this correctly? If you look at the description of the radio on the link I first posted it's described as "a solid state, portable radio, especially for striking forces" and that doesn't seem to fit with a battery life of 10 mins or the need to lug a car battery around with you, particularly as the R-392 may well still be in use these days.

Additionally if you look at this site http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/custom...rol_Radios.htm the R-392a is regarded as a patrol radio and it was originally "designed as a special mission radio for the paratroopers" that was subsequently "mass produced for use by the entire Soviet Military for use as a patrol radio".

None of that fits with a battery life of 10 mins so I'm a little unsure of your friend's translation.

Sorry.