View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I think the major issue that's affecting assault rifle efficacy is the intermediate cartridge/round. I don't think the tech. will be "perfect" until this is adequately addressed.

Combat experience has demonstrated that the 5.56mm round is too light, lacking the range, and penetration/stopping power to effectively engage targets at anything beyond 100m. It's adequate for MOUT/CQB, but when the enemy aren't up close, like in most of Afghanistan, it's a problem.

Heavier rounds, like the 7.62x54mm perform better at longer ranges, but the more powerful cartridge generates more recoil, negatively impacting accuracy (especially during automatic fire) and causing generating more wear and tear on the internal action.

So, once a better intermediary round is adopted, then yes, assault rifle tech. will pretty much be perfected. I'm sure that there will be continued debate over the best internal action (delayed blow-back, gas piston v. gas impingement, etc.).
I would have liked to see the 6.5, 6.8, or even a .243 Caliber become common. NATO is happy with both the 9mm and the 5.56mmN and I do not foresee a change in the near future. Based on the questionable performance of the Chinese 5.8mm round, I'm not entirely sure there is one round that does it all.