View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
I like the thought of urban encounters in Twilight. First, some comments on your questions, and secondly i'll dig out some of my urban house rules/thoughts which i will post up for you.

1. ... urban house rules to follow

2. 4 hours is OK for urban. That would be 2 or 3 encounters per day. Unless you wanted to class a particlar city/suburb as particularly hostile, then you could switch to 1 or 2 hour encounters.

3. 20km per 4 hours might be ok for cities as a speed, thats 5km per hour. So an hours walk would likely get you halfway or more through a village/city. When you think about it the pavement is hard, no mud etc to slow you down, so i'd think you could make good time. You might be slower if theres rubble or your taking care not to be ambushed though.

4. see the houserules re ranges. I think there'd be extremes though. For example i could see some cases where looking down a highway or from a 3 or 4 story building you could see some. Most times, down in the streets, encounter ranges would be closer than normal. Even rounding a corner and literally bumping into someone.

5. LOS ... mmm. No different in cities. You might be able to see someone 2,000m away but you wouldnt be able to determine many characteristics until they got closer. Peeking around corners or over walls, from under rubble, LOS could be limited, almost like being buttoned up in a tank/APC.

6. Movement rate could have an effect. Crawling makes you harder to see, but also limits your own field of view (LOS ... see above point #5). Running is good for making time but i'd also rule it limited your periphial view - your only looking at whats in front of you generally when your running.

Let me dig out some houserules i had put together specifically for MOUT. A combination of my own thoughts and stealing others from this forum.

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response.

I will study thoroughly and play test them to see how they are working.

However, I still have a question regarding my specific adventure in Kalisz.
According to google-maps Kalisz city covers an area of 70 Km2 so roughly the maximum edge ot edge distance for my party to cover is 11 Km. Applying the regular house rules my party will get-out Kalisz in 2 hours. My intention is to have them wondering in Kalisz for 1-2 days (being lost, more frequent encounters as with Soviet and Polish patrol groups, ambushes by Soviet/Polish desertes, mini-tasks by city evacuees, finding useful equipment, food and ammo, findind a deserted vehicle, e.t.c.). Any ideas on how to slow things down ?

Secondly, as most of the time my party will be walking up and down roads or rumble are there specific rules for limiting peripheral vision ?

Thanks again for your input