Thread: Korean Omega
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
In an odd sort of way, the presence of units of the Soviet Pacific Fleet, covering their remaining bases, and being in position to threaten a withdrawal FLEET back to the States makes sense.

Picking 1988, Ships and Aircraft of the Soviet Fleet, 3rd edition lists the following as being in the Pacific Fleet:

2 Kiev class carriers
8 Delta III class SSBNs
9 Delta I class SSBNs
1 Oscar II class SSGNS
8 Charlie I class SSGNs
14 Echo II class SSGNs
4 Akula class SSNs
7 Victor III class SSNs
3 Victor I class SSNs
4 November class SSNs
4 Juliett class SSs
6 Kilo class SSs
1 Kirov class BCGN
3 Kara class CGs
2 Kresta II class CGs
3 Kynda class CGs
2 Sverdlov class CO s
4 Udaloy class DDGs
3 Sovremennyy class DDGs
4 Kashin class DDGs
4 Kanin class DDGs
18 Krivak class CGs
13 Grisha class corvette

Soviet Naval Aviation assets included
2 Fighter Regiments
4 ASW Regiments
2 Long Range Reconnaissance Regiments
4 Reconnaissance Regiments
5 Long Range Strike Regiments

Quite a nice little strike force with plenty of air support as you can see.

Now how much hasn't been destroyed or is down for major mechanical failures is open to question, but enough to be a threat to a trans-Pacific movement is certainly possible.
And most likely by 2001 on the bottom of the ocean for sure - otherwise the Soviet destroyer group that took on the Virginia would have had more along with them

and Satellite Down made it very clear that the Soviet Pacific Navy was basically gone by 2001 - see the description of the ramshackle Soviet DD they put back in service in 1998 that the Virginia took out AFTER she was a beached wreck

Have a feeling any evacuation from Korea wont be facing Soviet ships if thats an accurate description of what they had left in the Pacific