Thread: Berlin in 1996
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
My best friend from high school was in the Berlin Brigade, '88-92. He told me the Berlin police were curiously heavily armed, having rifles and AT weapons, almost like light infantry.
Do you think the West Berlin police were expecting something?

Quote:
On top of that, West Germany had 3 airborne brigades. If one is fighting defensively, what good are those? Fighting in an urban area behind enemy lines, that's more like their style. No idea if that was true, but that's what this wargamer often did. FWIW, I almost always bypassed West Berlin when I played the Pact, leaving the ugly fighting to the Polish armies coming up on mid-game turns.
The problem with German paratroops being dropped into Berlin would be that the airspace over East Germany was dominated by the Soviet Air Force and the German paratroops probably would not have reached the city. The Luftwaffe at this particular time used older and inferior fighter jets to the Soviet Air Force. The Eurofighter Typhoon hadn't yet entered service so the Germans would be using mainly F-4's and Mig-21's.

Quote:
So, yeah, I agree that the Stasi had to have been in on the unification; the Soviets in and around Berlin had much bigger fish to fry when the West Germans crossed the border and the East Germans flipped sides. I'd have to check, but wouldn't the SGFG now be outnumbered?
The issue of the Stasi may need another thread. The Stasi were redder than the KGB and were used by them as they were so effective at doing their job.