View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
No change to the game at all. 95% of the worlds population on 18 November, 1989 dies.
That was without assuming that a super-disease that is completely fatal is released into the world. Are you presuming that the addition of this weapon is inconsequential to the plethora of nukes and other weapons already canonically being deployed, or are you presuming that this weapon would be deployed in place of those other weapons while still achieving an identical result? Because those are the options I see and I do not see either of them as realistic.

Quote:
The body does "learn" however, this takes days and not hours. If a virus is replicating faster than the immune response the host dies.
So you are supposing that this superbug is completely untreatable and perfectly contagious and kills 100% on the order of hours? That is a quantum leap in biological weapons technology, it like assuming that the US SDI secretly produced a functioning Death Star. How do you even deploy such a thing, and who is your target? And why would you, since any deployment is likely to be turned back on yourself?

Quote:
Yes, I am..... because the state of world is even less than that in the days, weeks, months, and first years post nuclear exchange.... First world anything is dead and the carcass only to be scavenged.
On the broad scale, no, post-apocalypse US is not less than the third world, it would be a unique situation with a different understanding of disease control while still having better access to medical knowledge and materials. If the survivors are not able to contain this superbug then it should spread across the US like wildfire before spreading to the rest of the world. If the survivors ARE able to... then why can't Prime Base? Prime Base at the time when the weapon would be used on it is far more advanced than the contemporary US - that is and always has been one of the foundational concepts of the game. This is a weapon that you are proposing take down the one facility in the world that should be the absolutely best prepared to weather such an attack - it has a complete environmental seal, an absurdly advanced medical capability, and the absolute knowledge that biological weapons exist and are likely to have been deployed.

Quote:
Ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers are nightmarish on their own, however the are naturally occuring and made the jump from simians to sapiens. An artificial is made by combination and extraction limiting the antigens or presenting apparently harmless antigens to the memory cells antibodies. This produces no response or spoofs the memory cells so that no response is generated until the runaway train of cytotoxins causes septicemia.
And yet those diseases are limited by an array of factors that limit them as ordinary diseases, much less biological weapons. You are suggesting that someone could genetically engineer a superbug essentially from scratch, and if either state had that capability then what other superbugs are out there? Screw nukes, we're custom ordering diseases with whatever effects we want!

Quote:
I don't have my copy of "the little book of death" which describes real world diseases world wide... It is an interesting read.... I got it at B&N.
When you get it, let me know, I would be very interested to do the math on this one.