View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 PM

All of the towns you are interested in have Wiki pages and also are listed on sites like citydata.com WITH photos. I'd suggest that you look up those sites to look at the photos of those regions so you can get a good idea of just how mountainous, rural or congested each town is. The imagery will help you describe those towns to your players. I would also look at Google Maps for the major intersections I describe. They almost always have a Surface Street View of the intersection and this can help you see just how these interchanges are laid out.

The Containment Plan: There is NO Doubt that the 99th ARCOM (out of Oakdale PA just south of Rt 376 West) and the NG units in the area would attempt to secure the PGH airport (located between Rt 51 and Rt 376W at the border with Beaver Valley), I79 South, and the South Side of PGH. These regions will allow the unobstructed flow of material around the region. They would complete their "security box" by securing I70 West and The Turnpike (I76). This would contain the Pittsburgh outbreak inside a box about 50 miles long per side. To achieve this, the units in question would have to control I79 about 12 miles West of PGH at the juncture of Rt 65 West and I79 South. This critical intersection in Kill Buck township would need to be secured at ALL COSTS. They would also need to control the Turnpike THROUGH Allegheny Valley (Monroeville to Wexford) which will be difficult. Finally, they will need the Allegheny County Airport in West Mifflin (South of the Monn, near Monroeville) to safely transfer men and supplies by air.

There is one more "Target" I forgot to mention in the Rt 51 area of PGH. Jefferson Hospital (Allegheny Health Systems) sits between Rt 855 and Rt 837 on the ridge between the Allegheny County Airport and Clairton PA (on Rt 51 South). It is only a couple of miles from BOTH the airport and the Century III Mall complex (which is designated as a refugee shelter by PGH Civil Defense). This hospital MUST be cleared and secured to ensure that the Soth Side is secure. It is a smaller hospital (around 300 beds) in a single stand-alone structure 6 stories high (per the elevator). You can drive completely around it and it occupies most of the ridge it sits on so it could be surrounded fairly easily. This would be a good "research center" once it's secured.

The Southern Tier: It will be critical to the security of the Turnpike AND the I70 and Rt 119 region to secure Greensburg. I think the "plan" would start by securing Arnold Palmer Airport and using it as a FOB. This would allow a forward deployment of "sweep teams" to clear Greensburg from the south to the North. Rt 119 would still need some form of barricade or "skirmish line" to prevent the infected from moving West out of Greensburg. Due to the close nature of the terrain, this WILL be dangerous. The ultimate goal would be to open a SAFE land route to Arnold Palmer Airport.

I would think that either the Army or the ARCOM would set up their HQ at Walt's Mills due to the high security at the GE plant there (and to protect the plant itself). All relief efforts would center on the UPS and FedEx Distribution Centers in New Stanton (due to proximity to BOTH Walt's Mills AND the major regional highways). The abandoned/empty industrial parks SOUTH of New Stanton could be used as secure "Refugee Centers."

That's how I see the initial containment being set up to support operations ACROSS the Southern Tier.