Thread: MY Project
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
The generic start for Regions/Areas/Groups seems very promising, but different geographical areas might need different specialization. Like the sea ops being focused on Ocean, Great lakes, or major rivers.
Each of my 7 regions has water access to either an ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Great Lakes, which is why I gave each one a sea base. My current plan is that the numbers and types of teams in each command would not vary since they address consistent operational or recovery needs, but the equipment assigned would reflect the geography. A Group in Utah might have zero watercraft while a group covering Louisiana might have some kind of boat assigned to every team.

Quote:
I don't know what you have at the Region air base level but I had plans for deployable helicopters at the Region level. Maybe 5 flights of 2 (plus ground crews) which could be temporarily run out of Area logistical or maintenance facilities. I had 2x M/AH-6 6 x UH-1 and 2 x CH-34 per region IIRC. Perhaps these could be considered direct report teams at the region level.
My original plan was to have heavy / long-range aircraft (fixed and rotary) at the national air bases, with medium-duty aircraft (fixed and rotary) at the regional level. The actual aircraft assignments died with my old hard drive and I have not yet made new ones. Considering that I want the war to be always 3-5 years past the start of the game, I was thinking of UH-60's, AH-64's, and CH-47's at all the bases with the addition of a few CH-53's and S-64's at the national bases. Other than C-130's, I haven't even looked at fixed wing yet.

Quote:
I would also add some redundancy at the national and region level as losses there would have a much larger effect on operations than areas or groups (which are small enough to be merged). No need for full redundancy (except maybe on logistics) but Command and Comms should be able to take up a portion of the other's work if one is lost (assuming a national asset cannot assist). Overlap between capabilities of the remaining regional facilities would also be logical if there is no duplication.
Agreed, that was why I had separate comms facilities in the first place. I should also note that all my facilities are manned, although many have some automated functionality as well.

Quote:
I have some interesting tools for calculating distance from canon nuclear strikes I could dig up if you decide you want to evaluate potential locations. For example when I was placing my regions and area facilities I used it to make sure I was 100 and 75 miles away from a strike respectivly.
I would indeed be interested!

Quote:
Another note from my research good luck placing teams in New Jersey if you want it 25 miles away from a strike as I think there is only one small area that fits that bill.
Part of my motivation for keeping Groups 100% mobile was so that they could be kept out of the high-risk locations but still move to support them post-war. But I am also basing my allocations on a simple "probability of survival" algorithm, so high-density areas are allocated fewer resources per-capita (pre-war). The remains of New Jersey may not require too many teams anyway!