View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not really, although trying to reduce a debate to a specious ad hominem false analogy in order to belittle those that disagree with you lowers the strength of your argument somewhat.
Actually I am not trying to belittle anyone - as I said "and for the record I can see both sides of the argument and the validity of both sides and appreciate how both sides feel (as a Christian too - lets say my family encompasses both sides of the Bible argument and it does make for lively discussion)"

And I definitely plan to address areas that havent been touched yet - as Jason said this was a world war - and thus its affects, as V2 pointed out, are truly global - and thus telling new stories in new areas is something I am working on

People here have always known I have an issue with Kidnapped and HW - when I played my GM and the players in my group loved the early US modules but were disappointed by Kidnapped and HW as to the incredibly bleak future of the US they painted (one that in my opinion and others would have destroyed the US beyond any hope of recovery in less than a century if ever and went way overboard compared, for instance, to how the timeline for the UK was handled which was much more hopeful and showed a country on the path to recovery and rebirth - not a short path but definitely on that path)

The line in HW that my GM at the time said was the one that really turned him off when he read HW was that there was only going to be, at best, food for one quarter of the remaining population - meaning that the US, which had already lost half of its population was now going to lose 75% of the remainder - and thus be reduced to 12% or less of the pre-war population - we talked about it and our group agreed that it was completely at odds with the idea of a war that had a limited nuclear exchange - let alone the fact that having that many of the remaining people die in such a short time would have basically lead to a spread of disease that would have most likely wiped out the remaining 12% of the population that could be fed - that is if they were even still alive after the desperate fights there would have been over any remaining food at all -

even more so with the remaining military units basically destroyed in most of the country and thus leaving people unable to even defend what did grow and get harvested when they got overrun by starving thousands or tens of thousands

We read it and agreed that what Loren painted wasnt a Howling Wilderness for the future of the US, instead what he painted was an empty wilderness devoid of people that used to be the US

Thats why we didnt even play Satellite Down when he bought it - the idea of a US military so emasculated that the best they could do to get a satellite back that was crucial for national survival was a single small squad of soldiers and a single decrepit boat - frankly even if they did get it back if thats all thats left there isnt anything MilGov or CivGov would be able to do to take advantage of the data

Last edited by Olefin; 06-04-2017 at 11:05 PM.