View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
FYI the 2045 date was changed to 2020 as to when CivGov and MilGov came back together - again multiple releases of the 2300AD game

and if you look at the Kafer War the American ships had a big part in it - and its stated that the US could take back the Southwest if it wanted to but not in the cards with the Kafer War going on
2045 is the number in the last boxed set. CivGov and MilGov "settled their differences" to fight New America in 2020 per the North America section, but the history explicitly states they formed a single nation in 2045. It's possible Mongoose retconned that further, but I haven't read that book closely enough to know.

Quote:
The US is definitely a major power in 2300AD - not a superpower but still a major one. And one thing I definitely dont agree with is them letting Mexico keep a big piece of Arizona and New Mexico and California - for one big reason that the US controls the source of water for the areas they hold in all three states - would have been very easy to drive out Mexico - just turn off the taps.

So that part of the canon I dont see as realistic - Texas going independent - yes that I could agree with even without a Mexican invasion.
So let me see if I have this right:
1. The T2K canon needs to be changed because allegedly America can't grow enough in 300 years (more time than has passed since the American Revolution) to match 2300AD canon.
2. The 2300AD canon needs to be changed because it isn't sufficiently pro-America.
Anything that "fixes" scenario #2 will make scenario #1 occur by requiring the post-Twilight War United States to be stronger so as to end up with a stronger America, so by insisting on the 2300AD canon being wrong, you end up creating the T2K canon issue that's claimed to be endemic to that setting alone. While there are minor issues with the canon, the claim that the devastation in the United States is excessive is caused by a change to 2300AD canon that would require rewriting that entire setting.