View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Default GPS and Other Satellites

Since Leg delined to start a new thread

There's LOTS of information in there actually.
Quote:
On 13 November 1995, the Soviet Union launched the last of its high-orbiting weather-tracking satellites, named DP 201. With the widening of hostilities, the expected life of such a satellite was less than a few days. Still this device managed to survive longer, dodging even the most adamant attempts to destroy it, for reasons which have never been completely understood.

When the United States employed its orbital ASAT (anti-satellite) network, it had suffered years of battles in Congress and hundreds of budget cuts. Still, what finally was put into space functioned well enough. Most Soviet spy satellites were downed in the first few months of conflict.

Likewise, the USSR also made use of advanced space technology in the downing of most of America's surveillance systems in orbit. The war was a simple one of attrition: one in which neither side had an upper hand or really hoped to win.

Despite all these odds, DP 201 stayed in space, taking its pictures of all the world's weather patterns and trends, dutifully recording all information it was exposed to. It was originally designed to monitor the ozone and jet stream patterns, as well as other wind and weather patterns, but this role was expanded as time passed and more nuclear weapons were launched by both sides. The spread of fallout across the world determined which countries were to survive, and during the peak of the nuclear exchange, DP 201 was hovering over the world tracking the weather patterns.

The satellite would have given the Soviets a strong advantage during reconstruction of their nation if not for a crippling shot by one of the few automated SDI systems still in space.

Where does it say GPS, Ocean Surveillance, Communication or Weather Satellites? I only see spy and Surveillance

While this specifically talks about US ASAT weapons and capabilities, is it really inconceivable that the Soviets didn't have something similar?

Yes it is and here’s why the US was able to test it primary Anti Sat weapon (ASM-135 ASAT) with the downing of P78-1 or Solwind. The Soviet did not such live test its systems and many failed such as 11F19DM Skif-DM/Polyus orbital battle station. Their research was then terminated due failed many results in the late 80's. Soviet did continue research into high-powered gas dynamic lasers and neutral or charged particle beam systems which could blind a satellite but not shoot it down. They also starting developing counter measures to US weapon systems.

There is also the matter of the launch platforms for each weapon systems which require conversion of air superiority fighter.

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-weapon...llite-programs

Why would both sides be so desperate to recover one downed satellite if ANYONE had anything still up in orbit?

Well they only after the data, and it’s a down enemy Satellite why wouldn’t the US want it. Operation Morning Light was a joint Canadian and US operation to recover Kosmos 954

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb267/11.pdf

It just doesn't make ANY sense for operational satellites to still exist and be available for GPS.

How about they are still operational because priority satellites were one for surveillance and missile launch detection

We also know from the background materials (all versions) that "orbiting space laboratories, are abandoned as the war drags on".

Where does it say Satellites were shot down?

Also from the nuclear target lists: "Vandenbelp AFS. CA: Recon satellite launch facilities (1 Mt ground burst)", "Spacefight Center, Cape Canaveral FL: Recon satellite launch facilities (1 MT ground burst)", "Houston, TX: Oil refining and storage facilities (1.5 Mt)", "Plesetsk, RSFSR: Recon satellite launching facilities (1 Mt)", "Leninsk·Tyuralam, KSSR: Recon satellite launching facilities (2 Mt)", and "KapustJn Yar, RSFSR: Secondary satellite launching facilities (500 Kt)". There may be other control and launch sites I don't know about, but how likely is it any would have been missed given the extreme value of satellites?

Actually pretty good, as with any target in the Twilight World. The missile target of any location could be spare if the missile targeting said location was destroyed before it launch by a missile targeting said missile location.

As if that isn't enough, and perhaps more relevant to the thread than all the above

It’s not enough and the M1A2 is not relevant as this a topics about GPS Satellites not the M1A2 tank