View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Hey All,

I have a little scenario that I would love to pick the brains of here. While the origins of the scenario are not Twilight/Merc 2000 it does have some application to the game.

The premise is that the PCs are tasked with raising and equipping a civilian Militia for local defense.

A: How would one choose who is in the Militia? Personally while "everyone is in the Militia" is a nice sentiment. I know of far too many people who cannot be trusted with a dull flimsy plastic spoon.

B: How would one equip said Militia and with what? While Peru had the Ronda Campesina they armed them with shotguns. While this did work to a degree it was found that the Sendro Luminoso had better ranged weapons and could pin down local militias.

The first time I did something like this in TW2K I used suppressed Sten guns. Now days I would use MAC 10 clones as I didn't know how simple they were to make. These would then lead to most people using captured Soviet equipment.

In a MERC 2000 style game there are no Soviets to prey on so I would have to look at a motley assortment of firearms and untrained peasants. This would also mean some sort of proper rifle with at least a 300m range. Looking at all the EOtechs in Kenya optics are not out of the question.
There is a nice little adventure and background in the Deluxe Revised RECON RPG by Palladium Books. It set in fictitious South American country. The PC's have to set a unit to combat the insurgency in the area.

It dose bring up a interesting though while I do agree that "Everyone is in the Militia" is a nice sentiment. A better questions is how do you make people to want to join?

In MERC 2000 style games, you might use money or security, nice shinny stuff. In the Twilight setting you might use food, security or something of value to the community the recruiting targets are in.