View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
I'd expect they'd stick with the Olifant Mk.1B.
More than likely as it was superior to the Soviet supplied tanks used by other African nations.

Also Centurion hulls were available. In 1990 Britain declared that it held 570 Centurion tanks in storage, although that probably included some Centurions hulls used as engineer, bridging and recovery vehicles. In real life they were scrapped or sold on at the end of the Cold War, but in T2K they were likely retained.

However in 1977 the UN Security Council adopted resolution 418 which imposed a mandatory arms embargo against South Africa, and Britain who abided by it would have not been able to sell arms directly to South Africa. Israel would be an obvious choice to send the Centurions due to their close military relations with South Africa, and the upgrades performed by Israel on its own Centurion tanks. But Britain had also placed an arms embargo on Israel in 1982 due to the Israeli inasion of Lebanon, but British companies like others found way's and means to get around these embargos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
For my part, I wonder if they'd go on to develop the Rooikat 105. It would be a little less effective, but a much cheaper way to get the same cannon on the battlefield.
Its possible and certainly South Africa favoured wheeled vehicles on the South African terrain, as excluding the Olifant tanks the rest of the South African army's fleet of over 5,000 armoured vehicles were wheeled.