Thread: Sweden in T2K
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Bottom line for me is that, as of early 2001, Sweden is in the best position of any nation east of France to emerge as Northern/Central Europe's leading economic and military power. Canon says that, as of mid-to-late 2000, the U.S.S.R. can no longer control its Baltic republics, and Ukraine is in open rebellion. Sweden is well positioned to lend covert support to the Baltics with the aim of bringing them into its sphere of influence. It could also support friendly factions in northern Poland, with like goals. Granted, this posits a Swedish government that is ambitious and not overly risk averse (in the spirit of Gustavus Adolphus).

Personally, I really like the idea of formerly neutral Sweden emerging as a power player c.2001. As a campaign designer, it opens up interesting new possibilities for NPCs, weapons and equipment, and PC options.
I agree with this summary. A thought that crossed my mind this morning is what sort of relationship Sweden and France would have. I can see them meeting and agreeing specific spheres of influence – e.g. the French agree to stay out of Scandinavia and the Baltic SSR’s while the Swedes give the French a free hand in the Benelux region (and maybe also Spain / Portugal).

But I wonder if there might be some disagreement over whose sphere Poland falls into – the French have a historic relationship with Poland and I don’t think it’s a big stretch to presume that the French might want to have some influence with any post War Polish government (if for no other reason than to have a pro France government in place on Germany’s eastern border as a potential check against any future German aggression). I’m not imagining any large scale conflict, but I think there could be scope for some friction between Sweden and France in Poland – for example if both nations were to find out about the existence of the Black Madonna / Reset / any other plot macguffin you want to insert there’s the possibility of both sending in retrieval teams and those teams then clashing with each other, either directly or via proxies.