Thread: WWIII Wargaming
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
I haven't had a chance to play (yet), but I own the Force on Force core rulebook, the Cold War Gone Hot sourcebook, and the Tomorrow's War sci-fi variant core book. Based on a couple-three readings and one very brief online interaction with the design team, my short take is that it's a promising rules system that could do with (1) a competent copyeditor and (2) a stronger understanding of the difference between house rules and professionally published product.

Most of my problems with the game are in the details of its execution. Conceptually, it makes me very happy. The core resolution system is simple and elegant, though the sheer number of optional rules hanging off that basic framework can be overwhelming on first encounter. Focus, as Chris noted, is on troop quality, not weapons - in short, the men, not the tools. Troop quality determines the type of dice you roll for just about everything (d6, d8, d10, or d12, with your target for all rolls remaining at 4), while more or bigger weapons just add more dice. The initiative system is something I wish I'd seen before I wrote Reflex's.

- C.
Teg,
It's cool. But you've had the luxury of working for White Wolf for a long time, and to be honest, small companies like AAG (Osprey doesn't exercise day to day control) do their best on the writing front. We're a lot better than we used to be. As for the system and the "rules creep", name a rules set that has not happened to? I can't. It's the story of gaming, we come up with a nifty new set of rules, and then like a darn Christmas tree, you end up hanging everything and it's mom off of it. But I am glad that you agree that the core works. And ultimately, that's what matters. Shawn and co have a great idea that works very well in a variety of applications. There are colonials and Civil War games with house rules using the system. It's not common, but people are doing it.

What do you tell people? It's not my baby, I have some investment, but it's ultimately Shawn's. And since he and his wife are OOC at the moment, I'll just say what I think he'd say: "It's your game ultimately, and once you plunk the money down, it's yours to use and abuse."

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).