View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
Bastogne was the American 106th Infantry Division who were fresh off the boat and slaughtered. I read a book in the Corps based on what happened called "Death of a Division." If I recall correctly they were the ones that suffered the Malmady Massacre, had a great uncle who was part of it. He was a lucky one and was one of the few who made it out without being killed or captuered or captured and then killed.

And then we had the Airborne Boys holed up in Bastogne, and then it was Patons 3rd Army was it who came to the rescue, as well as the cloud cover lifted allowing arial resupply and air support to devestate the German forces.
Close. The 106th Infantry Division (green division) was surrounded, but north of the German corps that went for Bastogne. The 28th ID (veteran division, but full of replacements after the Hurtgen Forest debacle) was the next division south, and it got hammered hard trying to hold that corps back. One of the combat-commands of the 9th Armored Division was assisting there. Another of the 9th's CCs, and then one from the 10th AD, assisted the 101st Airborne Division to hold while surrounded at Bastogne.

The Malmedy Massacre was an artillery observation battery in a road convoy that blundered into the SS armor driving forward.

/nitpick