View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
Rainbow Six if you want an idea of how an independent Scottish military would be organised and armed you just need to look at the armed forces of the Republic of Ireland. Both countries are very similar in almost every way, even by racial and cultural comparison. Scotland has a slightly larger population than the ROI, but it would be a bit smaller than a United Ireland.
Yeah, I agree that’s a pretty good comparison.

Quote:
Even if Scotland was to retain some frigates, Typhoons and Challengers tanks I doubt the SNP would want or could afford to keep them.
As I said upthread, afaik there was never any intent to retain any MBT’s. The heaviest armour the SNP were after were CVR(T)’s. The Typhoons were a slightly different matter. Remember what I posted upthread was the SNP ‘want’ list. I don’t think there was ever a realistic chance of us getting any Typhoons – or Tornados for that matter – but at I think least one Squadron of Hawks would have been a possibility, probably based at Leuchars. I’m aware that the Hawk is not a front line fighter aircraft but it would have allowed us to claim that our Air Force had some sort of air defence capability, however limited that might have been. In other words, we would have asked for Typhoons but settled for Hawks. If we’d started off asking for Hawks we’d have probably got Tucanos.

Quote:
I don't know why the SNP threw in NATO membership for an independent Scotland, maybe it was an afterthought to appeal to British ex-servicemen and their families in Scotland.
Same reason they wanted to keep the Queen as Head of State – to win votes. If we could have retained NATO membership relatively smoothly it might have also been used as ammunition when it came to making a case for also retaining EU Membership, but I’m speculating on that one.