View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
Offer recognition to FARC and/or ELN if they knock out the canal. FARC moved arms through Panama in the 1990s, and the ELN was active in Colombia with a series of kidnappings and hijackings. Equip them with RPGs to sink cargo vessels and/or damage the locks and let them go to town.
Given the limited range of the the RPG you have to get close to get a good hit. And given the size of most modern cargo vessels, it might take a a lot of hits to actually sink it.

Mortars would a better idea, better range and you can fire it from a concealed position and you can break it down for smuggling purposes. However same issue remains it might take a a lot of hits to actually sink it.

Damaging the Lock System might be hard too, here is a little information of the locks

The lock chambers are 110 ft (33.53 m) wide by 1,050 ft (320 m) long, with a usable length of 1,000 ft (305 m). The total lift (the amount by which a ship is raised or lowered) in the three steps of the Gatun locks is 85 ft (25.9 m); the lift of the two-step locks is 54 ft (16 m). The single-step Pedro Miguel locks have a lift of 31 ft (9.4 m).

The lock chambers are massive concrete structures. The side walls are from 45 to 55 ft (14 to 17 m) thick at the bases; toward the top, where less strength is required, they taper down in steps to 8 ft (2.4 m). The center wall between the chambers is 60 ft (18 m) thick and houses three galleries that run its full length. The lowest of these is a drainage tunnel; above this is a gallery for electrical cabling; and toward the top is a passageway that allows operators to gain access to the lock machinery.