View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
An Overview

Within the Project, three chemical weapons are available:

M-55 115mm Bolt Rocket: This weapon can be fired from multiple TOW launchers that are mounted on various MARS vehicles. The warhead is loaded with GB Nerve Agent and will contaminate an area 16m x 16x 4m. Upon inhalation, the GB will kill in 15 minutes or less, skin contact kills within two hours. Maximum effective range is 10,600m

M-6 CN-DM Gas Grenade: A burning-type hand grenade that produces a cloud of white smoke during its 60-second burn time. The cloud contains a mixture of tear and vomit gases whose effects can last for up to 60 minutes. A riot/choking agent.

M-7A3 CS Gas Grenade: This hand grenade creates a dense cloud of CS tear gas. The gas causes pain in the skin, eyes, throat and lungs as well as difficulty in seeing. The effects of the gas disappear 15 minutes after exposure. The grenade burns for 60 seconds. A riot agent.

The Project issues a Chemical Protective Mask (M-17A1), an older, Vietnam War-era design with two internal filters. While TM1-1 states that the filters are good for a year before needing replacement, this is highly dependent upon the chemical used. Blood agents typically comprise the filters with 2-4 hours, while Nerve agents cause the filters to be replaced as soon as possible after the attack.

There is one additional piece of project equipment: The Project Resistweave overalls have a zip-on hood and are gas resistant. Designed for continuous wear, this can be a long-term problem as the overalls will “wear” at places such as the elbows, buttocks, knees and any other places that come into constant contact with another surface. While a great “hand-wavium” effect, the threat of the coveralls acquiring tears and wear patterns threatens their effectiveness for NBC protection.
OK, heres my suggestions:
115mm M55 VX Rocket - BTW... they were ONLY ever filled with VX! Dump this thing like a bad habit! The Army sure did, and from checking, so did TMP in the 4Edition rules! The US learned the hard way, what the Nazis surmised in 1945... and we ignored what they said... because we're stupid! Heres the rub, the chemicals in VX and aluminum are not compatible! SO, the VX corrodes the hell out of the inside of the aluminum warhead body, eventually eroding it until it breaches!!!! I can tell you from personal experience, picking one of these up (while suited up) and having your thumb pierce the warhead and have VX sludge down your wrist is a butt puckering moment!
Next, as VX is a persistent agent, it will contaminate a site for several days depending on weather conditions. unlike GB, that's gone in a few minutes to a few hours.

M-6 CN-DM Gas Grenade: these things are AWESOME! And it's listed under all international treaties under "Riot Control Agents". Ok, so CN sucks, it opens ALL the valves for your tear and mucous membranes... not pleasant, but you throw in a little Adamsite (DM) and let me tell ya...GAME CHANGER!!!! I don't care HOW tough you think you are? You can't shrug this stuff off like CN, you're going to be curled up in a fetal ball, attempting to puke your own bootlaces up... it's the worst feeling ever! TOTALLY exhausting (hell of an Abdominal workout)! Of course it's only an inhalation hazard and is completely NON-persistent.

M-7A3 CS Gas Grenade: ehh… it's CS... it's OK

Masks: I'd replace the M17 across the board, they stopped making filters for it in 1986! You could replace with the Army/Marine Standard of the M-40, or the USAF/USN Standard of the MCU-2P. I'm a big fan of the MSA MILLENNIUM, which is a modernized version of the MCU-2P. It's a full visor mask as opposed to the M17/M40 that use individual eyelets, so there are less problems with claustrophobia and improved peripheral vision. They both use a NATO standard 40mm CBRN Filter and there are a plethora of specialized filters that will fit as well.

SUITS:
Coveralls: I've always wondered just how they intend to decontaminate these things?

4E Hazard Suit Mk1: "A rubberized plastic overgarment, gloves, boot covers and hood with integral layers of activated charcoal
designed to protect against biological, chemical and some forms of radiological contamination for up
to six hours. The hood contains a mask equivalent to the M17A1. Ballistic AV 1, Non-B 3."
Looks like a cross between a CPG/SARATOGA Suit and a TYCHEM Level B/C suit to me!

4E Hazard Suit Mk2:"This full-body positive pressure suit with Perspex hours of protection against visor provides up to 12 hour
biological, chemical and radiological threats. It is made of impermeant plastic made from multiple layer a(e.g. Tyvek), rubber and activated charcoal. The
outside layer is reinforced with aluminum foil and fiberglass. The backpack rebreather unit has an endurance of four hours. Ballistic AV 2, Non-B 4."
Looks like a LEVEL-A Hazard Suit with a DRAEGER Rebreather... not my first choice, but they sure work.... breathing hot, stale, recycled air after the first hour sucks, the 4th hour its worse!