View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
It's well known to us in San Antonio that the East Side and China Grove are rife with Mexican Drug Gangs. And that they're spreading out into the rest of the city, and some of them even live in the Dominion (the absolute richest part of the city). And that they've recruited and are recruiting from the "regular" gangs in the city. And that if you're a white boy like me you don't want to get anywhere near the former Alazon Apache Courts housing development. Or pretty much any low-income housing development. In my neighborhood, tagging, the first sign of a gang forming, started about five years ago. And I'm not allowed to own even a BB Gun because they think that because I'm mentally ill I'll spend all my money amassing an arsenal and I could go postal somewhere any moment. That's the world I live in.

Sorry for getting preachy.
I'd be "preachy" too. You DON'T have to be defenseless in your home though. I'd go "Medieval" with my defense. A good bow, sling, crossbow, or atlatl can kill just as effectively as a gun at short range and isn't prohibited/registered in most jurisdictions. I'd try to find a good bow with a 50lb draw weight and practice with it. An older fiberglass bow will run about $100 dollars and the practice counts as exercise. A sling can be carried very easily and ammo is readily available anywhere there are rocks. You can even make a "survival bow" using YouTube videos for reference.

When out, I'd carry a tactical Flashlight like the SureFire or Streamlight. You can "flash" a target and blind them but the flashlight also makes a GOOD IMPACT WEAPON. Using it like a Kubotan, you should strike for the bridge of the nose or throat with the Bezel to disable your aggressor. You then run/break contact if practical.

Projectile weapons are drastically "underestimated" in the Twilight2000 rules. I could see European towns arming their citizens with bows and crossbows for defense. These weapons can kill at short range every bit as effectively as guns and are easier to make and provide ammo for. the long tradition Europe has with medieval weapons would make this easier there. Imagine a dozen men armed with crossbows guarding a bridge taking turns firing while their partner reloads. If the opposing force doesn't have "overwhelming firepower," they may decide that town is too tough a nut to crack.