View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Default Damocles, Project File 002

Overall, this is a fair module, it tries to follow the simplicity of Riverton but places the team against an intelligent computer. I've never been able to shake the impression that the writer may have watched "2001" before sitting down to write this one.

The only real beef that I have is with the Damocles Compound itself. H.N. Voss goes on to write about how important Damocles is, including the decision to have the machine control the U.S. nuclear arsenal. This makes Damocles a key asset of DOD. NORAD HQ was built under a mountain and has a nearby army base to provide protection. Damocles is built in the UP of Michigan and is defended by four .50-caliber turrets and four tank-sized Mobile Defense Units, as well as a thin minefield. Talk about a wonderful target for a Special Forces strike!!!

In every game that this module has been played, I have never seen a team take less than 30 minutes to destroy the outer defenses, breach the door, and starting entering the levels. The Internal Defense Units were a surprise, but rapidly fell prey to the team. Only the lasers on the power level stopped a team, and even then it was only for a few moments.

While being the first to admit that the DOD spends its money in some incredibly stupid ways, Damocles and above all its defenses, strike me as having been designed by the village idiot.