View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
That's a very good point, Tony. I think that we agree that both sides are going to capture working (or repairable) enemy MBTs and use them against their former owners. My point- and I think you're more or less on the same page- is that it wouldn't be a common enough occurance for one side (or the other) to equip an entire armored regiment exclusively with first-line [former] enemy MBTs.

The WWIII battlefield is going to be very hostile to armor and I think attrition is going to be high, even before the stream of new and remanufactured tanks and spare parts dries up in early '98. In the v1.0 Soviet Vehicle Guide there's a plate (E4) of ex-Finish, Romanian-made M-81 (RW TR-85) in the service of the U.S. 6th ID in Germany c.'97. If the Americans are going to go to the trouble of shipping what's basically a glorified T-55 from Norway to Germany (and refitting it with a 120mm gun) before the TDM, you know that armored forces are losing a hell of a lot of vehicles.
Um...As I recall several Mechanized and Armored Divisions were outfitted their Armor units with LAV-75s a vehicle that didn't make it out of the blocks and Stingrays which are nice light tanks. So yeah I think both side wouldn't take time to outfit who units.... They would want to place anything that could be considered a tank back to the front as soon as possible..