View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 11:36 AM

Default Initiative And Time

I liked the "Tick" system that TW2K13 used but it proved too complex for use during the game. I tried to simplify it by reducing "Ticks" to OODA + a 1D10 roll and capping "Ticks" at 20. This created a fixed time for each "Tick" of 1/4 (0.25) of a second. This worked MUCH better but was still cumbersome in play so I simplified again. Now I use an Initiative system based on 1 Second increments for a 6 Second round (but this will work for a 5 second round too). This system is much more manageable and speeds up play. It is also very easy to implement. However many seconds something takes in the real world, that's how long it takes in the system. I do make a few changes to the Initiative as well as rates of fire. Here are my changes (please note that I use TW2K13's Coolness system):

Max Initiative is 6. To this, you also add a roll of 1D6 for a total of 2 to 12 BEFORE Modifiers. My Modifiers are:
Successful Tactics Roll (see below): +1
Surprise: -10
Light Wound (equivalent to a scratch)/Lighty Fatigued: -1
Moderate Wound (equivalent to a slight wound)/Moderately Fatigued: -2
Serious Wound (as V2.2)/Seriouly Fatigued: -4
Critical Wound (as V2.2)/Critically Fatigued: -8
Deadly Wound: No Actions Allowed
Exceeded Basic Bulk in Equipment (STA X 5): -1
Exceeded Marching Bulk (STA X 7): -2
At Maximum Allowable Bulk: (STA X 10): -3
Moderate Encumbrance: -1
Heavily Encumbered: -2
Overburdened: -4
Coolness Under Fire Exceeded: -1 PER POINT OVER COOLNESS
In Supression Effect: -1 per round in "burst"

I use 10 "Initiative Steps" just like those in V2.2 BUT each Step represents 1 second of time. The added steps above 6 seconds represent the fact that some people can perform an action faster than others. A person acting on Step 7 ISN'T ACTUALLY 1 SECOND FASTER THAN THE WORLD, He just performs a 1-second action in 0.85 seconds. So rather than complicate the system, I just added Steps. These Initiative Steps are calculated below.

Roll + Modifiers Is................Initiative Step Is
1 ............................................ 1
2 ............................................ 2
3 ............................................ 3
4 ............................................ 4
5 ............................................ 5
6 ............................................ 6
7 or 8 ...................................... 7
9 to 11 ..................................... 8
12 to 15 ................................... 9
16+ ....................................... 10

As you can see, the higher Steps are seldom used. I incorporated them for fast animals (cobras, rattlesnakes), Robotic Devices and Aliens/Supernatural Beings (I play Dark Conspiracy too). I use a Step Sheet divided into 10 blocks with the roll results in the right margin. I simply mark everyone's starting Initiative on this sheet before I begin the Declaration Phase.

The Declaration Phase:

I break my Initiative into two parts or "Phases" as well. The Declaration Phase where everyone tells me what they are doing (from highest to lowest Initiative Score) and I note this on my Step sheet, while doing the appropriate math for each action and noting WHERE that action will occur in the Steps of the Resolution Phase.
To determine when an action WILL OCCUR, just subtract how long it takes in seconds from the character's (or NPC's) Rolled Initiative. If this number is NEGATIVE, note that number on this turn sheet and tell the player he will resolve his action NEXT round. I keep 3 Step Sheets. One for the previous round, one for the current round, and one for the next round.

I also have any qualifying players roll their Tactics skills at the start of the Declaration Phase. Any who succeed may Declare LAST even though they may act FIRST in the Resolution Phase. This represents them "getting inside" their opponent's OODA Loop and "figuring out" what their opponent's planned action was. An Outstanding Success on Tactics grants a +1 bonus to Initiative a well.

Resolution Phase:

This is the phase where actions are resolved Initiative Step by Initiative Step with each Step being roughly 1 Second. Differing actions take different times. As noted above, these times are subtracted from the character's (or NPC's) Rolled Initiative. Some sample times are:

Attack, Point Blank or Short Range: 1 Second
Attack, Medium Range: 2 Seconds
Attack, Long Range: 3 seconds
Attack, Extreme Range: 4 seconds
Attack, Punch: 1 Second
Attack, Kick: 2 Seconds
Attack, Knife: 1 Second
Attack, Baton/Axe: 2 Seconds
Attack, Pole Arm: 3 Seconds
Aimed Shots: 2 X Attack (Max Range 10 Seconds)
Brace (to reduce RCL): 1 Second, NO MOVEMENT ALLOWED
Draw Pistol/ Unsling Rifle: 2 Seconds
Reload Pistol or Rifle (American mag release/bolt hold open ala M4): 3 Secs
Reload Pistol or Rifle (heel/paddle release NO bolt hold open ala AK): 4 Secs
Reload Pistol or Rifle (heel/paddle release NO bolt hold open odd reach to charge weapon ala H&K G3): 5 Secs
Reload Revolver (Speedloader): 5 Seconds
Reload Revolver (Moon Clip): 4 Seconds
Clear Jam: 3 Seconds
Ready Hand Grenade: 5 Seconds
Frag Grenade Fuse 1D3 + 2 Seconds
Flashbang Fuse: 3 Seconds
Get Down: 1 Second (kneeling), 2 seconds (prone)
Get Up: 2 X above
Sprint: 8 meters per Second (not from standing or prone)
Run: 6 meters per Second (not from standing or prone)
Trot: 4 meters per Second (not from prone)
Walk: 2 meters per Second or 1 meter per Second (stealth)
Crawl: 1 meter per second (high) 1/2m per second (low)

These are just a few actions and their times. If you need to know a time, just act it out to see how long it takes.

While this system may seem "complex," it is actually EASIER to use than to explain. You can also use a "simplified system" by just treating each Initiative Step in the basic game as 1 second of time. I just wanted a "randomizer" to equal out faster characters with slower ones. Even the fastest gun can be subjected to "The Fog Of War" on occasion.

As always, use what you want and ignore the rest...it's Your game after all.

Swag;

Last edited by swaghauler; 06-25-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added some reload times