View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Well Robin Hood was pretty cool and he didn't go with the government grade and was self promoting too.
Don't think Robin of Loxley would much appreciate being grouped with Pol Pot and Carl Hughes.

Quote:
And why not build them (the New Americans) like the Nazi's they are the popular guys to hate on. Years of movies and TV have taught us well on that. Hell even the film Star Wars had bad guys based on Nazi's.
Frankly the Soviets get to fill those shoes in TW2K. Got yer spiffy uniforms. Got yer brutal secret police. Got yer massive army. Even got Gulags to stand in for concentration camps.

Quote:
You Mention Khmer Rouge which I give you props for, because most people don't even know or remember them and they happened after the nazi's. Bad guys and the groups they run can be different from the nazi's yet this always goes unnoticed, because we are so brainwashed on what we are fed by the media. Hell some other evil could lurk up on us, because we are so focused on nazi's.
You are all over the place dude. First you ask "Why weren't New America more like the Nazis?" then you complain that Nazis have been overused?

Quote:
Look at Africa do we know what happens there- no, we don't care. Why because they aren't popular.
Hey, I mentioned the RUF didn't I? Maybe I should have thrown in the Lord's Resistance Army from Uganda. Those guys are 8 cylinder, fuel-injected psychos.

Quote:
So yeah the writers did make the NA bad guys. A group like that couldn't get that big, because everyone is looking for that type of evil. They could of made them less flamboyant bad guys or not bad guys at all, just another group that doesn't see eye to eye with the other two.
Quote:
I mean they could have made them dudes that just where anti government, didn't like typical U.S. politics, or waiting for hard times ahead. No they made them to be the typical Hollywood racist redneck militia.
Okay, I still don't get your point. Are you turned off because the New Americans were made out to represent the worst aspects of the survivalist movement? Do you see the New Americans as a deliberate slight against anyone white, christian, rural, politically conservative and dedicated to self-sufficiency?

I don't think the authors intended the New Americans to represent the entire survivalist movement. There is plenty of room in the canon for survivalist philosophies that do not include the fascism and racism of New America. I will admit that as written in TW2K the survivalist movement was a prime recruiting ground for New America, just like in real life many of the white supremacists and racial separatist movements attempted to recruit from the survivalist and the later militia movements.

The New Americans were certainly influenced by David Brin's Holonists from "The Postman." In that book survivalists are depicted as the reason the government fails to recover after the limited nuclear exchange and why the country breaks down into anarchy and chaos. But I don't think that the authors at GDW had an agenda concerning the depiction of survivalist.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing