View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 PM

Default Modified Autofire

I had to change the autofire rules too.
Rate of Fire in my game is the weapon's listed Rate/100. So an M16 with a rate of 800 rpm would have a ROF of 8. an AK would have a ROF of 6. This represent's a controlled roughly 1/2 second burst from a normal weapon (this is widely considered to be the most controllable type of fire by real world shooters).

In my game Full Auto is ONE DIFFICULTY LEVEL HIGHER than single fire is (ie, an AVE shot becomes DIF). Recoil only removes dice once you hit a target number of 1 for your "To Hit" roll.

Dispersion is VERY overrated. This shouldn't occur until longer ranges (the disruption of the air cannot overcome a round's velocity at shorter ranges. It looks more like this:
2 to 4 round bursts= 1 die lost at Extreme Range.
5 to 10 round bursts= 1 die lost at Long, & 2 dice lost at Extreme Range.
11 to 20 round bursts= 1 die lost at Medium, 2 dice at Long, & 4 Dice at Extreme Range.
21 round+ Bursts= 1 die lost at Short, 2 dice lost at medium, 4 dice lost at Long, & 8 dice lost at Extreme Range.

I have two special types of automatic fire in addition to the normal burst type of fire. They are Saturation Fire, and Grazing Fire. These types of auto fire will significantly reduce a weapon's burst size. These two types of auto fire may also be combined together.

Saturation Fire:
This type of fire exchanges dice rolled for an increased hit chance. When using Saturation Fire, divide the total dice rolled by 2 (rounding down). This is the number of dice rolled for hits. The remaining dice are divided by 2 as well (rounding down). This number is added to the To Hit number of the firer. For example; an AK (ROF of 6) would get a +1 to Target Number (3/2=1.5, rounding down to 1) and roll THREE Dice for the hit (6/2=3) when using Saturation Fire. The dice for Dispersion are subtracted from the dice lost to the Saturation Fire effect FIRST (the Dice used to determine the Hit Bonus).

Grazing Fire:
This special type of automatic fire is used to attack area or group targets with a single burst. It is ONE DIFFICULTY LEVEL HIGHER THAN A STANDARD BURST (AND TWO LEVELS HIGHER THAN SINGLE FIRE). To engage in Grazing Fire; The attacker divides the burst by 2 (rounding down). The remaining dice EQUAL the number of meters the burst can cover with a single To Hit Die per meter. The player may allocate these dice in any manner he chooses. For instance; an AK with a ROF of 6 could cover up to 3 meters of targets. The shooter could put 1 Hit Die in each meter of the 3 meter burst space, or put 2 Dice in 1 meter and the last Die in a second meter, ignoring the third meter. Targets being attacked must be no more than ONE meter apart. If that is not the case; the shooter MUST EXPEND ONE DIE PER METER OF "EMPTY SPACE" between targets. The dice that are lost are used to cover the burst's Dispersion losses FIRST. If this auto fire is combined with Saturation Fire above; do the calculation for Saturation Fire FIRST. This is the most common form of auto fire in my games.

Danger Zones:
These are highly inflated as well. The Dispersion should only be about 1/2 a meter to either side of a Short or Medium Range target, and 1 meter for a Long or Extreme Range Target. In practice; I just track the 2 meter square the target occupies straight back to the end of the Range Band or the weapon's Short Range (whichever is greater) with elevated targets considered to be in the line of fire too.

Last edited by swaghauler; 03-18-2015 at 08:36 PM.