Thread: OT: About books
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
It's been nearly eight years since I started this thread!!!???

Well... I've make my homework. I started with the Ken Burns documentary (one of the best documentary works I’ve seen about history). It served to grow my interest in the subject, and I think this is the best things anyone can say about a documentary. I followed with MacPherson’s Battlecry for Freedom, a good book to understand the overall picture and the prewar years (I was specially ignorant about the vertiginous development of the United States in the two decades before the war). Then I take a rest from history essays with Gods and Generals and Killer Angels. After the novels, I find a series of lessons of the Yale University in Youtube. And, with an incredible fortune, I found the three volumes of Shelby Foote’s The Civil War: A Narrative on the shelves of a role-playing game / wargame shop in Barcelona, while I was looking for something else. This was two years ago. I’ve read the first two volumes and I’m reading the third right now. And I must say I’m enjoying it very much. Although the more literary style of Foote it’s a hard exam for my English skill level, the vividly way in which he explains every letter, conference, battle, travel and speech keeps me hooked to the reading.

So, even after eight years, thank you for your recommendations.
Just so you know, Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative is a 14 volume set. Volumes 7 and 8 (Gettysburg) are the hardest volumes to find. Amazon usually has the rest available.