View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I think a point worth also bringing up is the quality of the two sides’ soldiers. I have friends in Dublin and used to visit regularly in the early to mid 90’ and the subject of the Irish Army came up in conversation a few times.

My understanding from talking to my friends was that the majority of Southern Irishmen who were serious about pursuing a long term military career opted to join either the British Army or, in some cases, the French Foreign Legion. This meant that these organisations attracted the best quality recruits, whilst the Irish Army wasn't seen as a good option and had to make do with what was left (or the British / French didn’t want).

I didn't want to bring this topic up but you are spot on.

I think Ireland (south) is the largest source of British Army recruits outside of the UK and maybe Nepal. Most recruits to the Irish Army have either the wrong temperment to be employed at anything else or see it as a career move to a fairly comfortable government job. Many married soldiers go home to their families after work, at least for part of the week, and it was recently highlighted in the Irish media that many Irish soldiers are well over 30 and out of shape. Many also volunteer for UN peacekeeping duties because they get a big pay rise for doing so.

Back in the 90's Irish army soldiers tried to suit the Irish government because they claimed their hearing was damaged because they werent given ear plugs while on target practice. Some soldiers also tried to suit because they werent provided with sun-screen while on UN duties in sunny climates such as Cyprus and the Lebanon. It was also claimed that Irish soldiers were asked to make pretent shooting and explosive noises while on exercises as the army couldn't afford to give them real or training ammunition because of cuts.

Recently some new vehicles, helicopters and weapons have been bought to increase the forces capabilities, particularly regarding UN duties, but outside of the Ranger Company which is very well trained and highly regarded, the average Republic of Ireland soldier isn't as well trained, equipped or of the same calibre of their British counterparts.