View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksaram View Post
Thank you for your responses so far, gentlemen.

Is there any way for someone to broadcast a jamming signal over radio frequencies so that a region would be denied access to outside signals if you had a Morrow Project fusion trailer, for example, as the power source?
Jamming can be done but seeing what the Soviets did, they had huge antennas for a jamming stations so I'm sure one can be made but it is not too transportable. A fusion unit should suffice as power. Even so, it isn't perfect, AM and shortwave signals depend on groundwaves and skywaves. Groundwaves follow the Earth while skywaves bounce off the ionosphere and the latter can be hard to jam because the ionosphere changes and the signals may bounce differently and there are times jamming may not work. During the Cold War, there were times Soviet citizens took portable SW radios to the countryside to listen to Western radio and many times they were outside the jammer's range or the ionosphere was cooperating.

Would be interesting to say the least, that's who I'd park a few portable radios and police scanners into my personal kit.

I'm an amateur radio operator, I once talked to Canada from across Lake Erie on my HT putting out 1 watt into a rubber duckie antenna, so given the right conditions, the PRC-68 can talk far. The PRC-70, in theory, can talk worldwide on HF. Not only power is needed but you also need a good antenna, the ionosphere working in your favor and/or flat land where your signal can go far (or a tall mountain/hill/tower).

Most societies might not have the resources for a 50 Kw blowtorch AM station, well maybe one or two, depending on how affluent they are, but I can see stations in the 500 watt to 5000 watt range. I think after the war or collapse in the MP world, the radio bands will be much less crowded so even a 500 watt to 5000 watt signal would go far, even less than that.