View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine
I'm in a PbP game, and in every situation where the PCs have stood their ground and fought, they've been slaughtered.
I'm in the same pbp game and we haven't been slaughtered in every encounter although we have taken casualties in pretty much every encounter. I think it's a product of two things;1) the game system mechanics, I go, you go, everone gets a turn so everyone gets to shoot at someone and we're mostly outnumbered... and 2) It's a pbp that is more of a collaborative writing exercise than a role playing game and much less of a wargame. The majority of the players are more interested in portraying a good story.
Quote:

True, the PCs are all fairly unskilled and are fighting a crack team of VDV and Spetsnaz (thanks GM! ) .
This is a natural conclusion to actions current and past players have taken. Unfair to blame the GM on this, and, I do not believe that was Chalklines intention.
Quote:
So I've read up on infantry tactics, and the German concept of 'elastic defence'. This is where you start with strongpoints that shelter you from bombardment, and fall back with supporting fires to trade ground for time to counter attack when the enemy seems disorganised in the assault phase.

How realistic does the forum see this?
It seems realistic enough for reality, see Mohoenders' post, but probably less so for an rpg and our pbp.see kcDusks' last paragraph.
Quote:
Do strongpoints represent tactical assets to fought from and defended?
In an rpg, and particularly our pbp a strongpoint represents a static target for 40mmGrenades, rpg7 rounds, and when available mortars. You don't want to be in any kind of strongpoint in our game.

There is a logic behind the way our GM runs his game. I can see it but can't explain it. It's a kind of universal fairness constrained by game mechanics. To remain above criticism everything must be strictly adhered to rules wise for both parties and yet party size and capabilities reflect the expected situation and thus the players often find themselves deep in the poo.

Last edited by Badbru; 12-26-2008 at 08:29 PM.