View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 04:42 PM

'Yes the fight is allready underway. We reached the outskirts of the town before light, having suffered a dusk ambush on the way. We waited untill light to move the bulk of our forces in. We really haven't had any time to set up mines, or booby traps etc allthough as a player I've made it clear I wanted to. We have a mortar and some ammunition for it but our radios are being jammed. SSD-1109 does stand for Special Signals Detatchment afterall. We took harrassing sniper fire during the morning and have now lost one fire team from an aggressive probe which we are repelling now, with even more casualties...'

OK, there are some possibilities from this information. If you get the opportunity, finding out where the jammer is would be vital. If you can knock it out, great, but I wouldn't risk too many people, your very best two or three fighters might have a better chance than a squad.

Bear in mind that all the below assume you get some time to breath. My opinion would be that this time would be best spent fleeing. If, however you can't do this:

Using your mortar will probably be vital too. Place it somewhere where a spotter can relay corrections, if you can, or where you can channel the enemy into a kill zone you've set up, with time you could pre-register fire, but the enemy might clock on to that.

If you have mines, again used them to channel the enemy.

Other tricks:
Set bait in your kill zone, by now the enemy might have such a poor opinion of you that they'll get cocky

Set up sneaky ambushes (again, time reliant), if you have vehicles, use the tire jacks for a Chechen trick, burrow under a collapsed wall and use the jack to raise it up a bit. Fire at the enemy and release the jack. Hey presto, they can't find you. A few tricks like that might rattle the Airborne, or at least take out a couple of soldiers. If you can go for wounds rather than kills, an injured soldier is a logistical nightmare, a dead one, a resupply opportunity.

In an urban environment think in 3 dimensions and remember explosives are your friends. Don't cross roads when you can go under, don't go around houses, go through.

Good luck, a few lucky ambushes and luring the bulk of the enemy into a kill zone might cause enough casualties for the enemy to break off. Otherwise, it's 'Saving Private Ryan' time, take out as many as you can before you go down.

Remember, your campaign has evolved into something greater than a game, I know, I've read and admired it. There are two ways to go:

Win or die gloriously in the attempt.
Don't feel cheated if the GM has a Deus Ex Machina up his sleeve, your writing has earned you just a little bit of plot protection just as a fictional character would.

Anyway, good luck, and most of all, enjoy the game, I admire what you've all created.

All the best,

Mark.