Thread: Firefighters
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Promotion: Promotion is automatic after each term. A professional officer of the same rank will be considered of an higher rank if one is present.
True but in RL when mixing paid and volunteer it tends to be just a touch....messier especially when the use of paid is farly knew. Between volunteer’s getting pissy at the paid guy’s “dud I’ve been doing this for 10/20/40 years ( for free mind)don’t try to order my a++ around” and a’hole/ officious paid guy’s “I gave you an ORDER” it can get interesting. If any body’s interested I can give examples .

One on and two off is pretty standard although there are a few variations mostly just jiggering the proportions around (4 on 7 off say) ether way ya cut it it’s a lot of free time and if you don’t fill it up somehow next thing you know your sleeping all day. I know a lot of guy’s that ether work in different matince/skilled craft jobs or run there own small business a lot of paid also volunteer (assuming thay live in a deferent county than thay work) .

One thing to keep in mind (to a grater extent with volunteer but you see it in paid as well) it that there can be quite a lot of variability between station in skill’s, equipment and responsibility’s. Some stations are strait fire* some are home to specialized pieces with associated specialized training. Also the exect mix of skills among the members can make quite a deference. For example there’s one of are stations that could easily be mistaken for a large garage /mecian shop (thay bought a standard tank truck and did the conversion to fire tanker themselves as well as refurbishing and rebuilding there own fire jeep)

* at lest one engine maybe a secondary engine/tanker, utility truck(big tool box on wheels with basic medical supplies), car (depending on location) and brush truck(agine depending).