Thread: TW2k13
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
A quick rule of thumb for 3D range (we use it for Fighting Wings, WW2 aerial combat):

Take the horizontal and vertical ranges, and add half of the smaller to the larger. Doesn't matter which is larger (hypotenuse is a hypotenuse).

For example, range to a helicopter 3000 m away and 2000 m up is treated as 4000m (3000 + 2000/2).

(The math answer is 3605.551 m).

And if that same helicopter closes to almost overhead... 300 m away and the same 2000 m up is treated as 2150 m (300/2 + 2000) = 2150

(the math answer is 2022.375 m)

It's an approximation, but it's within 10-12% accurate, which isn't bad for something you can do in your head.

Uncle Ted
This would indeed streamline the rules and drop the need for a conversion table. It would also remove several altitude bands, effectively leaving NOE, Low, Medium and High, I suppose.

Thank you for the idea. I was clearly approaching this in a far too complex manner.
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.