View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
In the 1950's the U.S. made and issued steel cased .30 carbine, .30-06 M2 and .45ACP. There are Berdan primer punches that one must turn the case until the punch meets the holes, but water and a dowel rod can do the same job. Berdan reloading primers are made and a Boxer conversion DIY video is online for inspiration.
I have and do still reload steel cased and Berdan primed cases. What I was referring to in my post is the fact that the chemicals in modern lacquer will leech into modern "ECO-FRIENDLY" smokeless powder and "kill" said powder. The same is true for most lubrication and also any carb cleaner you might use to clean your weapon with. Using lacquer in any cottage industry reloader would contaminate the inside of the case when you resized it and cause major ignition reliability issues. That's why I said that most small operations would simply forego the lacquer and just punch out "raw" mild steel casings. They could "rattle can" paint them afterwards but I don't see anyone wasting the time to do this on cheap ammo. The better cases (salvaged brass) would be saved for "higher paying customers" or the local authority.