View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I would think that with the decimation of units original numbers, the officer corps would have suffered greatly as well.

So all of the officers from the AF and Navy who are very heavy with officers would find themselves doing important tasks behind the lines as similiar as their old jobs or skills like degree and training would allow.

Further, I could see alot of them being placed in the assorted new admin type positions since alot of an officers work is adminstrative and training. Remember logistics would be a new headache in the T2K world. As well as the coordination of foot mobile troops, unit farms and gardens, Cutting material for ethanol and the production, storage, transportation and distribution of it. Animal management.

And then the ratio in the other ranks I can see being a smaller ratio of enlisted to officers in the Army and Marines to give more jobs to more officers.

I would also think they would give the non combat arms officers a shake and back course of say a month or so of training, giving them the basics like land navigation, tactics, call for fire and such.

And I would also suggest giving them an aprentive program where they work under the direct control of a seasoned officer and act as an observer watching the seasoned officer operate, then the next phase they are in control of a platoon with their seasoned officer mentor observing them and guiding them so they do not screw up.

After about 90 days of total training, 30 for classroom and what amounts to a field infantry leaders training course similiar to an OCS class, they are sent as observers for another 30 days, then after that they are put in charge and observed for 30 days. And if they pass then they are transfered somewhere else to take command of troops at a platoon level. Those who wash out are either rececycled, or they are sent somewhere where they can not do to much damage.

I can see other new fields:

Battlefeild reclamation; salavaging and repairing equipmement from the battledield.

Artillery: leadership and knowledge with the FO, logistical, meteorology and commanding a gun or working in the fire control center.

Mech, commanding a mechanized unit.

Logistics

Repair

Fuel Peroleum or Fuel Methanol production

So there are alot of positions that surplus officers can be sent to do.