View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 AM

As far as Northern Ireland goes, I never agreed with the canon view. According to the UK Survivors guide another civil war broke out in Ireland with the south invading the north. I don't find this in any way likely as the South have jealously guarded their neutrality in previous wars and are unlikely to violate this by invading British territory. Also it states in the canon that the IRA was active during the war - this goes against their activities in WW2, when they declared a ceasefire. I believe that in the event of the Twilight war occuring they would have done the same as they realise that the British govt would be more likely to act with greater force against them to eliminate a potential threat. Intel here on leading members of the paramilitaries on both sides was, in more recent years ('80's onwards), pretty thorough and I believe that both sides would call a truce. There is always the risk of splinter elements causing trouble, but I think the government would have brought internment back in very quickly, which would minimise this.

As far as the general population goes, I think they would have realised that they've more in common than they have differences. Possibly this is wishful thinking on my part as I am not in any way sectarian myself - I'm in a mixed prot/cath marriage, but for many years the vast majority of the population here have just wanted to live in peace. This belief is also based on the historical precedent of WW2 when the population as a whole pulled together, notable examples including during the blitz on Belfast when fire brigades from the south came north to help fight the fires in Belfast.

It should also be noted that NI is the only part of the UK that there was a draft enacted in either the first or second world war as there was a sufficient level of voluntary enlistment.

Overall, beyond some isolated incidents I think that people will attempt to get on with their lives as best they can and that, on local levels particularly in the border areas, there will be a degree of cooperation. I don't mean to make Ireland sound like a post war utopia, but I don't think it will be as bad as GDW may have made it look. Life will still be a lot tougher than it was pre war, but I don't envision a full on civil war. All IMHO of course!