View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Jester -

I see your point on CA highways (I used to drive them a fair bit), but I think a lot of them would be nearly unusabel in a T2K world. The 15 to Las Vegas is 250 miles across the Mojave and mountains. There is nearly no water out there and daytime temperatures in the valleys can get to 110F in the summer. Some hardy souls might get through, but regular contact or the idea that a political organization would exist across that border is unlikely.

The routes between northern and southern CA are a bit better, but still problematic. The 5 runs through the central valley desert and would have many of the issues that the 15 would. You could take 101 along the coast and have a somewhat better time of it, but that's a long and winding road. Much of it is built on the cliffs over the Pacific and would have been washed out. That would be my route as I could expect some water and possibly some supplies at places like San Luis Obispo and Big Sur, but it would be a hell of a trip for regular convoy traffic.